To train and support community volunteers who advocate for abused or neglected children placed in foster care; upholding the children’s rights while pursuing a safe and permanent home.ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES
- Children should feel safe and protected wherever they live.
- Children deserve to be treated with respect and have their opinions validated.
- Children in our communities are everyone’s responsibility.
- Our society has developed and implements systems to remove children, who are victims of abuse or neglect, from their parents to ensure their safety and well-being. Therefore, as a society we must be responsible. As a society, we must not only expect the system to care for these children, but rather we must hold each other responsible, making sure that these same children’s safety, welfare and dignity are upheld in the process.
- CASA is the organization designated to educate the community and be a spokesperson on issues of child maltreatment, always keeping the welfare of the child the priority.
How Your Donation Helps
CASA of Monterey County trains and supports community volunteers who advocate for abused or neglected children placed in foster care; upholding the children’s rights while pursuing a safe and permanent home.
When Child Protective Services determine circumstances warrant a child being removed from their parents for their own protection, the legal case comes before the Dependency Court and the child is placed in foster care. Monterey County has approximately 320 children in foster care; they are children in crisis, highly at-risk and vulnerable.
While all children are assigned a social worker and attorney, over 200 of those children are also assigned to CASA due to their complicated circumstances which, per the Juvenile Dependency Judge, require additional help and guidance.
Advocacy is conducted in the context of permanency: finding lifelong support and connections for children and youth in the foster care system while ensuring the quality of life a child deserves. Advocacy focuses on four primary activities: investigate the circumstances of the case; advocate for what is in the best interest of the child; facilitate services; and monitor compliance with court orders and progress towards permanency.
Salinas CA 93901