Tuberculosis (or TB) is a serious infection in the lungs that is contagious and can even be fatal. Because it spreads easily, like the flu or a cold through the air, the deaths caused by it are on the rise. Just two years ago, over 10 million people in the world suffered from TB disease and almost 2 million died from it. It is also #1 in deaths among those who are infected with HIV. Many are researching preventions and cures to lower these rates, including the United Way Bergen County New Jersey. Donate a Car gives you an opportunity to help them and the world lower these statistics and deaths through vehicle donations. Extend your hand of support to them and their families today.
Many of the ways to prevent being infected with Tuberculosis are steering clear of others who are. Since the number one way it spreads is from person to person through the air, make sure that you:
- Don’t spend excessive amounts of time in the same room as someone who is infected, especially in a stuffy room.
- If you work in a facility where others are infected or visit a place where you know the infection is, take cautions such as wearing a face mask and consistently washing your hands or using hand sanitizer.
- If you are consistently with someone who suffers from TB or live with someone who does, do all you can to encourage them to follow treatments.
There are a few other things you can do to take extra preventative measure such as:
- Talking with your doctor about vaccinations like BCG
- Live a clean and healthy lifestyle
How you can Help
- If you have tuberculosis yourself, take precautions like staying home and wearing a mask.
- Be on the lookout for symptoms in yourself and others, such as chest pain, coughing up blood, fatigue, a long lasting cough and weight loss.
Fund and support the United Way Bergen County New Jersey nonprofit organization through a vehicle donation in New Jersey today.