January is National Blood Donor Month, making it a great time to donate blood to the American Red Cross and help them provide relief and support for people in crisis. Did you know that you can save up to three lives with just one blood donation?
If you cannot donate blood, you can still help save lives by donating your car to the American Red Cross through our Donate-a-Car service.
Here are some facts from the American Red Cross about the need for donating blood:
- One car crash victim may require as many as 100 pints of blood
- Every 2 seconds in the United States, someone is in need of blood
- The most requested blood type needed in hospitals is type O
- About 36k units of blood are required in the U.S. each day
- On average, a red blood cell transfusion is about 3 pints
- The blood used in a crisis is already available before the emergency happens
- Almost 21 million blood units are transfused in America every year
- It is estimated that 38% of the U.S. population is qualified to donate blood at any time, yet less than 10% actually do each year.
- There are approximately 6.8 million blood donors each year in the U.S.
- Blood cannot be fabricated, it can only come from those generous enough to donate
Consider donating blood this month or every month. It feels great to donate, and it’s something that most of us can spare. It’s a sure way to be someone’s hero and even save more than one life.