Are you looking to donate your car to charity but have some questions or concerns? Donate a Car is here to help. Car donation is a great way to give your older car a new purpose. It’s free for you and can help a trusted charity to improve lives.
Below are answers to some common car donation questions.
Donate a Car Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I donate a car that doesn’t run?
Yes. We happily take most vehicles even those in bad condition.
2. What types of vehicles can I donate?
We accept cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, ATVs, boats, tractors and more.
3. Do I need to have a current registration of my vehicle to donate?
Not at all.
4. Do I need to fill out paperwork to donate a vehicle?
Nope. In most cases, all you need is a signed title. If you don’t have a title, call us at 1-800-237-5714 for instructions.
5. Is my car donation tax deductible?
Yes, depending on the sale value it has. You can deduct the sale value or the fair market value up to $500, whichever is greater for your donated car. For more information, visit our Tax Deduction Guide.
6. How much money from the sale of my car donation will the charity receive?
The charity you have chosen receive all of the proceeds of the sale after the costs of processing which includes towing, advertising and auction expenses. Typically the charity will receive 70% or more of the net proceeds.
7. When will I get a receipt?
We will send you a receipt for tax deduction purposes several days after your vehicle is picked up.
8. Who will pick up my donated car?
A professional towing company will pick up your car from the location that you choose.
9. How soon will my car donation we towed?
Depending on the location of the pickup, it typically is towed in 1 to 2 business days.
10. Do I need to be present when my donated car is picked up?
Nope. You don’t need to stay home or get time off work. Most of the time you don’t need to be there when your vehicle is towed.
If you have more questions, give us a call at 1-800-237-5714, or visit our FAQ page.