May is National Mental Health Month so we have teamed up with The National Alliance of Mental Illness of California to provide hope for those affected by this illness. We encourage all California youth and adults to stand up to stigmas and spread awareness this month.
Your car or RV donation in California to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) will help in advocating for quality and respect for all those affected by mental illness.
Here are some other ways that you can get involved:
- Speak with the administration at your local high school about starting programs that help lessen the stigma and prevent suicide such as NAMI’s Ending the Silence program.
- Make an appointment with your local affiliates to discuss ways you can get involved locally.
- Make a pledge to stop using words like: schizo, crazy, psycho, lunatic, disturbed, freak, retard, spastic, nuts, weird, mental or other stigmatizing words.
- Write and submit a blog post or article for your school newspaper.
- Ask someone struggling how they are doing and mean it. Be ready to listen and be encouraging. Ask questions and refrain from judging.
- Discuss mental health with your kids. Try not to assume that they are too young to understand. Even elementary children can be affected by depression.
- Encourage friends or family struggling to get screened through their primary doctor.
- Watch out for bullying in the office or at school. This can lead to depression.
- Be watchful of destructive behaviors around you and report it to a trusted adult when necessary.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of depression, anxiety & panic disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, eating disorders and substance abuse & addiction. Learn what to watch for in yourself and those around you.
- Memorize the suicide prevention hotline which is available at all times. 1.800.273 TALK (8255).
- Be a supportive friend by simply listening and supporting someone close to you. This can help spread mental health awareness.
Each of us has mental health needs. When we raise our voices together, they become amplified and have a greater reach. Working together, we can support and improve the lives of those suffering from mental illness.
Having an older vehicle to give to this cause can also help. Donating an RV to charity for mental health like the NAMI California can help end the discrimination of mental illness and increase the quality of life for those who suffer mental illness.